Para desasnarse, que siempre es bueno:
Following terms from GLAAD
Transgender An umbrella term (adj.) for people whose gender identity and/or gender expression differs from the sex they were assigned at birth. The term may include but is not limited to: transsexuals, cross-dressers and other gender-variant people. Transgender people may identify as female-to-male (FTM) or male-to-female (MTF). Use the descriptive term (transgender, transsexual, cross-dresser, FTM or MTF) preferred by the individual. Transgender people may or may not decide to alter their bodies hormonally and/or surgically.
Transsexual (also Transexual) An older term which originated in the medical and psychological communities. While some transsexual people still prefer to use the term to describe themselves, many transgender people prefer the term transgender to transsexual. Unlike transgender, transsexual is not an umbrella term, as many transgender people do not identify as transsexual. It is best to ask which term an individual prefers.
Transvestite Derogatory see Cross-Dressing
Transition Altering one’s birth sex is not a one-step process; it is a complex process that occurs over a long period of time. Transition includes some or all of the following personal, legal and medical adjustments: telling one’s family, friends and/or co-workers; changing one’s name and/or sex on legal documents; hormone therapy; and possibly (though not always) one or more forms of surgery.
Sex Reassignment Surgery (SRS) Refers to surgical alteration, and is only one small part of transition (see Transition above). Preferred term to “sex change operation.” Not all transgender people choose to or can afford to have SRS. Journalists should avoid overemphasizing the role of SRS in the transition process.
Cross-Dressing To occasionally wear clothes traditionally associated with people of the other sex. Cross-dressers are usually comfortable with the sex they were assigned at birth and do not wish to change it. “Cross-dresser” should NOT be used to describe someone who has transitioned to live full-time as the other sex or who intends to do so in the future. Cross-dressing is a form of gender expression and is not necessarily tied to erotic activity. Cross-dressing is not indicative of sexual orientation.
Gender Identity Disorder (GID) A controversial DSM-IV diagnosis given to transgender and other gender- variant people. Because it labels people as “disordered,” Gender Identity Disorder is often considered offensive. The diagnosis is frequently given to children who don’t conform to expected gender norms in terms of dress, play or behavior. Such children are often subjected to intense psychotherapy, behavior modification and/or institutionalization. Replaces the outdated term “gender dysphoria.”
Intersex Describing a person whose biological sex is ambiguous. There are many genetic, hormonal or anatomical variations that make a person’s sex ambiguous (e.g., Klinefelter Syndrome). Parents and medical professionals usually assign intersex infants a sex and perform surgical operations to conform the infant’s body to that assignment. This practice has become increasingly controversial as intersex adults speak out against the practice. The term intersex is not interchangeable with or a synonym fortransgender.
TRANSGENDER TERMS TO AVOID
Problematic: “transgenders,” “a transgender”
Preferred: “transgender people,” “a transgender person”
Transgender should be used as an adjective, not as a noun. Do not say, “Tony is a transgender,” or “The parade included many transgenders.” Instead say, “Tony is a transgender man,” or “The parade included many transgender people.”
The adjective transgender should never have an extraneous “-ed” tacked onto the end. An “-ed” suffix adds unnecessary length to the word and can cause tense confusion and grammatical errors. For example, it is grammatically incorrect to turn transgender into a participle, as it is an adjective, not a verb, and only verbs can be used as participles by adding an “-ed” suffix.
Problematic: “sex change,” “pre-operative,” “post-operative”
Referring to a sex change operation, or using terms such as pre- or post-operative, inaccurately suggests that one must have surgery in order to transition. Avoid overemphasizing surgery when discussing transgender people or the process of transition.
Defamatory: “deceptive,” “fooling,” “pretending,” “posing” or “masquerading”
Gender identity is an integral part of a person’s identity. Do not characterize transgender people as “deceptive,” as “fooling” other people, or as “pretending” to be, “posing” or “masquerading” as a man or a woman. Such descriptions are defamatory and insulting.
Defamatory: “she-male,” “he-she,” “it,” “trannie,” “tranny,” “shim,” “gender-bender”
These words only serve to dehumanize transgender people and should not be used.
Defamatory: “bathroom bill”
A new term created and used by far-right extremists to oppose non-discrimination laws that protect transgender people. The term is geared to incite fear and panic at the thought of encountering transgender people in public restrooms. Use non-discrimination law/ordinance instead.
- wifish127 reblogged this from queerlynotcomplacent
- heldriss reblogged this from dirtybrian
- dirtybrian reblogged this from queerlynotcomplacent
- silentsceaming reblogged this from not-a-tsundere
- not-a-tsundere reblogged this from mackerel-crown
- xohailsseleiro likes this
- nomorebattlesforme likes this
- itsinevitable-sobraceyourself likes this
- lyndsaylace reblogged this from merry-fishmas
- lyndsaylace likes this
- meettheghost reblogged this from merry-fishmas
- merry-fishmas reblogged this from ameaningfulspecific
- ameaningfulspecific reblogged this from thethirdlittlepiggy
- thethirdlittlepiggy reblogged this from kamitsuku
- lifeuninteresting likes this
- rainshinesunstorm reblogged this from ttransits
- irrelevant-apparition likes this
- illburnyournameintomy-throat reblogged this from awake-andunafraid
- p-ersy likes this
- potterhead-love-always reblogged this from revolutionariesdontwearplaid
- latussmaxahorse reblogged this from mrcrazeh
- opheliataurus reblogged this from alterstorm
- opheliataurus likes this
- donttypeangry reblogged this from politemachinegun
- alterpneuma reblogged this from kamitsuku
- alterpneuma likes this
- thepinkmongoose likes this
- wolfyson likes this
- freakishgenius likes this
- sweetsilentserenity1 reblogged this from iwstw
- sweetsilentserenity1 likes this
- wildflowers420 reblogged this from jayheartless
- azalea-dylan likes this
- circuit94 likes this
- jayheartless reblogged this from clockworkjerk
- noenemy reblogged this from kamitsuku
- noenemy likes this
- criminal-boyfriends likes this
- beware-theweepingangel reblogged this from awesomeandallthat
- thadedraconis reblogged this from mackerel-crown
- awesomeandallthat reblogged this from aj--la
- trinnabott likes this
- sequinssequence reblogged this from freyasfolly
- fadoodly reblogged this from broken-soldier-of-heaven
- littlemissoperetta reblogged this from kouprince
- bastetcg reblogged this from mackerel-crown
- mackerel-crown reblogged this from kouprince
- kouprince reblogged this from vrunkas
- man-kann-nie-wissen reblogged this from kamitsuku